0300 303 7333

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)

Our residents should be able to enjoy their homes in peace and feel safe and secure. We expect all our residents to behave in a respectful and courteous way towards their neighbours. We take any reports of anti-social behaviour very seriously and we will work with you to resolve unacceptable behaviour.

What is Anti-Social Behaviour?

Anti-Social Behaviour is acting in a manner that has caused or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household.

Types of Anti-Social Behaviour:

  • Noise nuisance
  • Harassment
  • Intimidation
  • Threatening behaviour
  • Hate-related incidents and hate crime (crime committed against someone because of their religion, ethnic group, age, sex, sexuality, physical or mental health or a disability)
  • Vandalism and damage to property
  • Pet and animal nuisance
  • Vehicle nuisance
  • Drug abuse and drug dealing
  • Physical violence
  • Litter, rubbish and fly-tipping
  • Alcohol-related nuisance
  • Domestic Abuse
  • Garden nuisance (such as rubbish causing an environmental health issue)
  • Misuse of shared areas or groups of people hanging around
  • Prostitution
  • Committing a crime and criminal behaviour
  • Gang related

The most frequent reports we receive are about noise nuisance. Many of them can be described as domestic or lifestyle noise, e.g. slamming doors, shouting, dogs barking, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, DIY activities, loud music or televisions and vehicle noise. Often those making the noise are not aware they are causing disturbance to other residents.

Sometimes we’ll attempt to mend relations between neighbours by offering use of our mediation service. In other cases we’ll work with the police or other agencies to target persistent problems. In the past we have also used acceptable behaviour contracts to try and improve individuals' behaviour. In the most serious cases we have taken legal action and evicted those people guilty of ASB.

How we deal with anti-social behaviour?


All reports of anti-social behaviour are treated confidentially. Your anti-social behaviour report will be dealt with by a housing manager. They will talk to you about the problems you are experiencing.  They assess each case individually depending on the issues reported. They will provide you with advice on the options that are available and actions you will be asked to take to help sort out the anti-social behaviour. They will then carry out investigations into the allegations you have made and where possible interview perpetrators.

Agree action plan and risk assessment

The housing manager will contact you to agree a clear action plan which will be used to manage your case and agree how we will work with you and support you to resolve the issue

Where cases have been classed as high level the housing manager will carry out a risk assessment on your home to see if you require any additional security.

Keeping you updated

Thehousing manager will be the person who will provide you with updates on your case and will be the person you speak to if you have any questions.


The housing manager will treat all reports sensitively. They will not provide details to anyone without your permission. However, if there are serious concerns for you or your family’s safety we have a legal responsibility to share information with relevant agencies for example social service, adult safeguarding, child safeguarding, etc.

Office support

The housing manager will provide you with advice and may put you in touch with external agencies that may be able to help you.

Action that may be taken

If we need to take action against the person or group causing the anti-social behaviour, East Thames may do this alone or with the Police and/or Local Authority.

The action we take will depend on how serious the behaviour is and the evidence provided. You may also be required to provide a statement and give evidence in court. We will make sure that action we take is strong, effective and fair. We will support you through this process.

Speaking to the person causing the disturbance directly

If you feel comfortable talking to the person causing the problem we would encourage you to do this as they may not know they are causing a nuisance.


Photographs can be used to build up evidence for your case. It is important that any photographs you take provide evidence of an act of anti-social behaviour being carried out, for example, someone causing damage to property, involved in a fight. Please only take the photographs if you are not at risk by doing so. Photographs of individuals particularly young children not involved in any form of anti-social behaviour are of no evidential value and could be a breach of data protection act of 1998 (link to data act info). Please also ensure that none these are not published and are only used to provide evidence. If you are unsure please contact your housing manager for advice.

Diary records

Keeping diary records of every incident that occurs is very important.  You will need to record dates and times, where incident happened, how it made you feel, details of witnesses, etc. This will help us build a case against the alleged perpetrator and where necessary be our evidence when taking legal action.  If you need diary sheets call us on 0300 303 7333.

Noise nuisance

All noise nuisance during the day and out of hours should be reported to your Local Authority Noise Team. You should also inform your housing manager so they can send you diary sheets to records the incidents and they can support you by carry out further investigation into the noise nuisance.


Contact the police to report any anti-social behaviour and obtain a crime reference number by calling 101. If at any point you feel your life is at risk please call 999.

If you feel you are a victim of anti-social behaviour please report it by contacting us:

East Thames

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm.
0300 303 7333

More help and advice:

Victim Support

Monday to Friday: 9am to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 7pm
Bank Holiday: 9am to 5pm
0845 30 30 900
18001 0845 3030 900 (Typetalk users)



Operate 24 hours
Unless it is an emergency, you should call 101
In the event of a crime happening, someone is injured or your life is in danger call 999