This Information Statement sets out the standards that you can expect from East Thames when we request or hold personal information about you. It explains how you can gain access to your personal data and where to go for further information. When using the term East Thames this includes our subsidiaries East Living and East Potential.
Why we use personal information.
East Thames use information on a daily basis to:
- Deliver services and support to you;
- Manage services;
- Train staff;
- Help investigate any worries or complaints you may have about your services;
- Keep track of financial spending on services we provide for you;
- Check the quality of services; and
- Help with research and planning of new services.
When we request or hold personal information about you, in line with the Data Protection Act 1998, we promise to:-
- Only ask for what we need and not collect too much or irrelevant information.
- Make sure you know why we need it.
- Protect your information and ensure that no unauthorised person has access to it.
- Let you know if we plan to share your information with other organisations to provide you with better services,
- Only hold your information for as long as is necessary.
- When we no longer require your information we will make sure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.
In return, we ask you to:-
- Provide us with accurate information,
- Tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal circumstances.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
When we will share your information without consent.
There are instances when we have a legal duty to provide information about people without obtaining consent. This does not happen very often, but please see below examples of some of these instances:-
- If a serious crime has been committed – and the Police formally ask us to release information which will help with their enquiries.
- If there are serious risks to the public, our staff or to other professionals.
- To protect a child.
- To protect adults who are thought to be at risk, for example if they are frail, confused or cannot understand what is happening to them.
We do not sell personal information to any other organisation for the purposes of direct marketing.
How you can access the information we hold about you.
You have a right to see the information we hold about you and your services. For routine information such as specific items or copies of repair orders this can be dealt with by the relevant department.
For larger requests for information such as complete copies of personal files, this is called a Subject Access Request (SAR). In order to obtain this information you will need to put your request in writing, along with two forms of identification and a £10 fee. We then have 40 calendar days in which to process your request and send you the information.
Should you wish to make a request please use the subject access request form which can be downloaded from our website and send this to:
Data Governance Officer
The Compliance Team
East Thames Limited
29-35 West Ham Lane
London E15 4PH
Subject access form – The form used to request a copy of your own personal information under the Data Protection Act.
Data Protection Policy – Guidelines followed by East Thames staff to ensure that they are working in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Information statement – How we use your information.
When we process your information, we will keep to the statutory requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. For further information on data protection, privacy and data sharing, you can access the Information Commissioner’s website at www.ico.gov.uk.