0300 303 7333


Insurance... you never know when you might need it

Contact details for our insurance brokers

In the event of making a Public Liability or Property Owners Liability claim, contact:

Arthur J. Gallagher Housing Limited
27-30 Railway Street, Chelmsford, Essex,CM1 1QS
Tel: 01245 341 200

Insurance provider update

If you’re a shared owner or leaseholder and need to contact our insurance provider, FARR Insurance Brokers, you may notice that when calling you are welcomed with a greeting from Arthur J Gallagher. This is because FARR Insurance Brokers has merged with Acumus and is now known as Arthur J Gallagher. Everything in relation to your policy will continue to operate as normal. If you have any questions about the change, please contact the insurance team at East Thames on 0300 303 7333 or email insurance@east-thames.co.uk.

Insuring your home and contents

Here is some key information to help you understand and manage the insurance needs for your home.

What kind of insurance do I need for my home?

To make sure your home is fully insured, you need both buildings and contents insurance:

  • Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home such as the bricks and mortar, windows and doors, and other fixtures and fittings, such as fitted kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms.
  • Contents insurance covers all the personal things you bring into your home, such as furniture, curtains, books, ornaments and electrical goods.

What insurance does East Thames provide?

East Thames will cover the buildings insurance for the properties where we are the freeholder of the land or building, or where we have an obligation to insure. The cost of this is included in your rent and service charges. This covers you for damage to the building caused by fire, explosion, storms, riots, leaking water pipes as well as a range of other risks.

Getting a copy of the buildings insurance

Shared owners and leaseholders receive a Summary of Cover with their rents and service charge statement every year. This can be shown to mortgage providers as proof that cover is in place. Alternatively you can call our customer contact centre on 0300 303 7333 to request a copy.

What insurance do I need to organise?

You are strongly advised to take out contents insurance to protect your belongings against events such as leaks, burst pipes, theft and fire. This is important as it ensures your carpets, curtains, furniture and personal items can be replaced or fixed after any damage. Buildings insurance does not cover any of these items and East Thames will not be liable for replacing your personal items if such damage or theft occurs. 

How do I organise contents insurance?

We’ve partnered with Thistle insurance to offer you “My Home” contents insurance. The scheme is much cheaper than most high street insurers. You can pay in a way that suits you be it fortnightly, monthly or annually, by cash, card or direct debit. For more information on the scheme, contact them on 0345 450 7288 or email myhome@thistleinsurance.co.uk. Find out how much it might cost here

You are not obliged to take out insurance through Thistle, you can opt to go with any insurance provider offering contents insurance. Use a price comparison site to make sure you get the best deal for you. 

How do I make a buildings insurance claim?

Shared owners and leaseholders
Please contact our insurance provider, Arthur J Gallagher, for further assistance on 01245 341 216. You will need to quote policy number: 11/RSL/10188A

All other residents
Please contact our customer contact centre on 0300 303 7333 as soon as the incident occurs. This will enable us to log the repair quickly and minimise further damage. 

Do I have to pay an insurance excess for my property?

Shared Owners and Leaseholders
You pay the first £100 (the excess) of any property claim. In case of subsidence, when the ground beneath your home has moved, you pay the first £1,000. Please note there is a £1,000 policy excess for each and every communal property repair claim.  Please always check the most up to date policy schedule as this may change from year to year.

Keep your home and estate protected

Talk to us before making additions, alterations or amendments to your property

A condition of your tenancy or lease, is that you must notify us of your intention to add, alter or amend any part of your property. If you are considering any changes of this kind please contact your housing manager for further guidance as this may affect the buildings insurance cover in place for your home.

Report trip hazards on footpaths right away

Damage to footpaths and pathways surrounding your home could develop to dangerous trip hazards if not repaired early on. Please tell us about any walkways that require attention so that we may schedule the repair as soon as possible.