Essex fire-fighters to strike
It has been reported that Essex fire-fighters are to strike in a dispute over cuts to service on 28 June, 7 and 18 July, 18 August and 18 October.
We’re advising all residents affected to take sensible fire precautionary measures where necessary as there will be reduced fire brigade services on all dates shown above.
For further information go to: www.essex-fire.gov.uk
General Fire Safety advice to residents:
• Know what to do in the case of a fire – evacuate people safely, stay calm and contact emergency services.
• If there is a fire call 999 – the fire service will respond even on strike days
• Take care, especially when cooking or smoking.
There are also some practical tips to help you stay safe:
• Make sure you have a smoke alarm and check that it works.
• Make sure everyone knows how to get out of their home/building in the case of a fire and have a designated meeting place.
• Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully.
• Avoid using candles during strike periods
• Turn off and unplug electrical appliances, unless they are designed to be left on – like your fridge.
• Close doors at night to stop a fire from spreading.
• Make sure exits are kept clear.
• Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them