Rent charges

The type of rent you pay and how it is set will reflect when you became an L&Q tenant and the size of your home. To help, we have some key information on the different types of rent you may be charged and how we calculate your rent:

Paying rent

Paying the rent is one of the most important parts of your tenancy with us. The money we collect from rent goes to pay for the services that we provide for you.

We ask that you set up a direct debit to pay your rent. This is a convenient and effective way to make sure your rent is paid on time.

Housing benefit 

If you are unemployed or on a low income you may be entitled to financial help to pay your rent. To make sure you are getting what you are entitled to contact your local benefits office, Job Centre or Citizen Advice Bureau. You can also check your entitlement using our:

Even if you receive housing benefit you must pay your full rent in advance. This is also the case if part of your rent is paid by housing benefit.

To apply for housing benefit you must make an appointment with the local council's housing benefit office immediately or submit a completed housing benefit form in person - and always get a receipt for your application which must be sent to your L&Q revenue officer within seven days.

When you apply you will have to show:

  • Your signed tenancy agreement
  • Proof of Income Support and other benefits and/or
  • The last five weeks pay slips or the last two months if you are paid monthly
  • Your national insurance number
  • Proof of your identity (passport or birth certificate)
  • Bank or building society statements
  • Proof of income or attendance at school/college of anyone else in your household

The above information must be provided to the housing benefit department immediately so that your claim can be processed without delay.

You must also:

  • Regularly check the progress of your claim
  • Regular contact will make sure your claim is processed speedily
  • Provide any information asked for by the housing benefit office immediately
  • Let the housing benefit office and your revenue officer know straight away of any changes in your finances or household

Frequently asked questions about service charges

We've put together some answers to frequently asked questions about service charges.